Easy Meat & Potato Pie
So here is Bar Bar’s homemade Meat & Potato Pie Recipe.
A delicious pie if falling apart tender beef in a flavour packed gravy with potatoes and a crisp pastry top
Now this is *VERY* special because it’s my mumma’s, and guess what she’s called Barbara 🙂
Perfect Comfort Meat Pie Recipe!
It is the most perfect dinner because it’s so simple (It just takes a lot of time to cook the meat).
The key is to put the meat in the oven on low and go off and do something nice, come back and 4- 5 hours later
Ta-Dah, the most tender meat ever.
When you cook stewing steak for this long (low and slow) it simply turns into the most melt in the mouth beef.
It’s packed full of flavour, rich and dark and falling apart. (no fatty or gristly meat here)
Preparation of your homemade meat pie
It’s great because you can do all the preparation the day before.
Then simply pop on the pastry top, bang it in the oven and you have a perfect family favourite dinner in 30 minutes.
This easy Meat & Potato Pie does take a long time due to cooking the meat for so long.
You can do this long and slow in the oven, or cook it in the slow cooker – it works
Remember you can do other things and leave it to get on being yummy all on it’s own.
What pastry to use for your Meat & Potato Pie?
I use shop bought shortcrust pastry for speed (a little cheaty – but who cares?)
However of course you can make your own pastry
Just so you know this his pie is also great with puff pastry if you prefer? Very flaky – yum!
I don’t put a bottom layer of pastry on the pie as I simply don’t think it needs it!
I do know some of you like that, so my advice would be to par-bake it first
However with no pastry bottom you don’t have to worry about a ‘soggy bottom,’ if you know what I mean
And bonus it brings the calories down a little!
See no soggy Pastry bottom on your pie
So don’t come for me but this pie has no pastry bottom!! Hence no soggy pastry fear
I know people have really strong views that a pie has to have a pastry bottom. But guess what it doesn’t as I’ve said
Each to their own, do what you like to do
What to serve with your Meat & Potato Pie
For me this pie really challenges a roast, really it does!
This pie simply is the perfect family supper!
I love this pie so much it’s such comfort food on a cold day and reminds me of mum and being in the north.
And the gravy! Oh the gravy, simply stunning, meaty and rich.
I think this delicious meat pie is best served with lots of lovely crisp vegetable and away you go!
- Green beans, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, peas – whatever – they all work
- It’s actually lovely with mushy peas if you like them
I tend not to do any extra potatoes, as you have them in your pie, but you can of course.
Occasionally I might serve with Roast Potatoes if I have a lot of guests
Super Popular homemade Meat & Potato Pie Recipe
It is such a popular recipe on Easy peasy lemon squeezy and everyone raves about it!
I have to say it’s one of my faves too!
If you haven’t guessed already 🙂
Storing your leftover Meat & Potato Pie
I very much doubt you’ll have left over but if you do
Simply cool your pie and then cover well and refrigerate
It will keep well in the fridge for 2 days
When you want to serve simply reheat in the oven making sure it’s piping hot
You can microbes it – but your pastry will not be crispy
What baking dish / tin, should I use?
To be honest it doesn’t really matter what shape but recently I really do like these tins – quite old fashioned but so nice
The one I use is sort of an old fashioned type, enamelled, which I actually bought in the supermarket
They are also available here is that helps
I have loads of different shapes and I love them – really handy and also relatively low cost
(Amazon Affiliate link)
Other warming Pie Recipes
If you fancy a straightforward Steak Pie Recipe then here’s mine.
I cook my beef in the slow cooker which saves having the oven on with this one
Or how about my Shepherd’s Pie recipe, it’s so good too!
It has sneaky leeks 🙂
And it fits perfectly for #NartionalPieWeek or any week for that matter
Lovely Beef Recipes
If you love beef and fancy a real treat, then have a go at this amazing Easy Beef Wellington
So good for that very special occasion
Here’s my popular recipe for Honey Garlic Chicken, it’s easy and a dump slow cooker recipe too!
Just look at it!
Enjoy Clare x
Please comment below if you make Bar Bars Easy Meat & Potato Pie!
And maybe share with us on Instagram – I’d love to see you there 🙂
I would love to hear from you and so would my mum. 🙂
Easy Meat & Potato Pie
- 1.5 Kg lean Stewing Steak fat trimmed off
- 1.5 pts water enough to cover the meat
- 2 OXO cubes beef stock cubes
- Black pepper
- 6 large Potatoes peeled and sliced into 1cm slices
- Pack of chilled Shortcrust pastry or make your own if you have time you can use puff if you prefer
- 1-2 tbsp Gravy granules or corn flour to thicken gravy
- 1 Egg - broken and beaten in a small dish
- Preheat oven to 110C / Gas 1/4
- Put stewing steak in a roasting tin, cover with water (approx. 1.5 pts) crumble Oxo cubes in and add black pepper , stir. Put the lid on the roasting tin or cover with foil. Pop in the oven for minimum 4 hours. Go and do something nice 🙂
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1cm slices, boil for 10-12 minutes or until tender, drain and put aside
- Once meat is cooked - tip 1/2 the meat juice into a jug and put on one side for gravy later. Meanwhile thicken the remaining meat and juices with gravy granules until really thick. (2 tbsp)
- Put meat and gravy in the bottom of a large pie dish (reserve a little gravy for on top of potatoes) pop the cooked sliced potatoes on top add a little gravy on top. Preheat oven to 190 C/ Gas 5
- Roll out pastry , trim a small strip from the edge and using water place / attach this thin piece all around edge of pie dish.
- Next with a pastry brush egg wash the pastry strip, then place rolled pastry over pie using the rolling pin to lift it. Press down and trim the the excess with a knife. (make a fancy pastry shape for the top)
- Egg wash the top and bake in a preheated oven 200C/400F/Gas6 for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is piping hot
- Serve with lots of vegetable and additional gravy (using the meat juices put aside)