Bar Bar’s Easy Meat & Potato Pie
So here is Bar Bar’s homemade Meat & Potato Pie Recipe.
Now this is *VERY* special because it’s my mumma’s.
Perfect Comfort Meat Pie Recipe!
It is the most perfect dinner because it’s so simple (It just takes a lot of time to cook the meat).
The key is to put the meat in the oven on low and go off and do something nice, come back and 4- 5 hours later
Ta-Dah, the most tender meat ever.
When you cook stewing steak for this long (low and slow) it simply turns into the most melt in the mouth beef.
It’s packed full of flavour, rich and dark and falling apart. (no fatty or gristly meat here)
Preparation of your homemade meat pie
It’s great because you can do all the preparation the day before.
Then simply pop on the pastry top, bang it in the oven and you have a perfect family favourite dinner in 30 minutes.
This easy Meat & Potato Pie does take a long time due to cooking the meat for so long.
But you can do other things and leave it to get on being yummy all on it’s own.
What pastry to use for your Meat & Potato Pie?
I use shop bought shortcrust pastry for speed (a little cheaty – but who cares?)
However of course you can make your own pastry
Just so you know this his pie is also great with puff pastry if you prefer? Very flaky – yum!
I don’t put a bottom layer of pastry on the pie as I simply don’t think it needs it!
I do know some of you like that, so my advice would be to par-bake it first
However with no pastry bottom you don’t have to worry about a ‘soggy bottom,’ if you know what I mean
And bonus it brings the calories down a little!
See no soggy Pastry bottom on your pie
What to serve with your Meat & Potato Pie
For me this pie really challenges a roast, really it does!
I love this pie so much it’s such comfort food on a cold day and reminds me of mum and being in the north.
And the gravy! Oh the gravy, simply stunning, meaty and rich.
I think this delicious meat pie is best served with lots of lovely crisp veg and away you go!
Green beans, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower – whatever – they all work
I tend not to do any extra potatoes as you have them in your pie, but you can of course.
Occasionally I might serve with Roast Potatoes if I have a lot of guests
This pie simply is the perfect family supper!
Super Popular homemade Meat & Potato Pie Recipe
It is such a popular recipe on Easy peasy lemo nsqueezy and everyone raves about it!
I have to say it’s one of my faves too!
If you haven’t guessed already 🙂
Other warming Pie Recipes
If you like this recipe I also think you might like my Shepherd’s Pie recipe, it’s so good too!
It has sneaky leeks 🙂
And it fits perfectly for #NartionalPieWeek or any week for that matter
Lovely Beef Recipes
If you love beef and fancy a real treat, then have a go at this amazing Easy Beef Wellington
So good for that very special occasion
Enjoy Clare x
Please comment below if you make Bar Bars Easy Meat & Potato Pie!
I would love to hear from you and so would my mum. 🙂
Easy Meat & Potato Pie
- 1.5 Kg 1.5Kg lean Stewing Steak fat trimmed off
- 1.5 pts water enough to cover the meat
- 2 OXO cubes
- Black pepper
- 6 large Potatoes peeled and sliced into 1cm slices
- Pack of chilled Shortcrust pastry or make your own if you have time you can use puff if you prefer
- 1-2 tbsp Gravy granules or corn flour to thicken gravy
- 1 Egg - broken and beaten in a small dish
- Preheat oven to 110C / Gas 1/4
- Put stewing steak in a roasting tin, cover with water (approx. 1.5 pts) crumble Oxo cubes in and add black pepper , stir. Put the lid on the roasting tin or cover with foil. Pop in the oven for minimum 4 hours. Go and do something nice 🙂
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1cm slices, boil for 10-12 minutes or until tender, drain and put aside
- Once meat is cooked - tip 1/2 the meat juice into a jug and put on one side for gravy later. Meanwhile thicken the remaining meat and juices with gravy granules until really thick. (2 tbsp)
- Put meat and gravy in the bottom of a large pie dish (reserve a little gravy for on top of potatoes) pop the cooked sliced potatoes on top add a little gravy on top. Preheat oven to 190 C/ Gas 5
- Roll out pastry , trim a small strip from the edge and using water place / attach this thin piece all around edge of pie dish.
- Next with a pastry brush egg wash the pastry strip, then place rolled pastry over pie using the rolling pin to lift it. Press down and trim the the excess with a knife. (make a fancy pastry shape for the top)
- Egg wash the top and bake in a preheated oven 200C/400F/Gas6 for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is piping hot
- Serve with lots of vegetable and additional gravy (using the meat juices put aside)