Easy Shepherd’s Pie with sneaky leeks, time!
Shepherds Pie with sneaky leeks is one of my fave dinners, seriously there’s not much nicer.
An old fashioned pie and in this one I hide a layer of lovely buttery leaks underneath the potato layer. #winning
It’s so good and makes such a great get ahead dinner.
Actually technicaly I think it’s a Cottage Pie (sorry) but I’ve always called it Shepherds Pie.
But they are very similar, dishes and are often confused apparently.
Both consist of a meat base covered in a potato top crust. …
Whats the difference between a Shepherds Pie and a Cottage Pie?
“Shepherd’s pie” is made from lamb (hence “shepherd”), while “cottage pie” is made with beef.
Leeks in a Cottage/Shepards Pie!
So why add a layer of leeks to this pie? (Totally delicious)
Well first & foremost they are delicious, soft and buttery.
Secondly they add an extra veggie and with extra veggies there’s extra fibre 🙂
And that’s good 🙂
Prep ahead Shepherds Pie
There is nothing nicer than a wonderful comforting pie in my book!
I strongly believe this is one of the best pie recipes you’ll see!
Yes, I’m that confident!
And just imagine how smug you’ll be when you’d been out for the day and you already prepared this dinner before you left!
Now all you have to do is bang it in the oven! 🙂
This is what we often do go out for the day and I generally make it the night before then just bang it in the oven and Ta-Dah a lovely family warming dinner.
I’m also a firm believer it tastes better the next day 🙂 you know with all those crusty bits!
That’s where all the flavour is!
How to serve your Shepherds Pie
Have a go at this Shepherds Pie!
I like to serve it with a big portion of green veggies. It’s also amazing with all the usual veg too and I sometimes make extra gravy
AND – it’s also lovely with baked beans – oh yes it is 🙂
Can I keep left over baked Cottage Pie in the fridge?
Yes you can – and the next day I thin k it’s actually even better 🙂
Simply chill and cover and then pop it in the fridge (max 2 days)
Then remove and heat inyoilk piping hot – either microwave or oven (if In the oven loosely cover with kitchen foil
Can I freeze my Shepherds Pie?
Yes! And why not batch it and make one for the freezer too?
Freeze unbaked covered, then fully defrost before you bake
Go on sneak those leeks in and let me know how you get on
Drop me a comment below, I love your comments
Other traditional dinners
If you love this traditional dinner why not have a go next at my lovely Toad in the Hole!
And never forget my Mums Meat & Potato Pie amazing x
Look at that tender beef – yum
If you fancy a straightforward Steak Pie Recipe then here’s mine.
I cook my beef in the slow cooker which saves having the oven on with this one
So I hope I’ve helped you with your pie recipes 🙂
Easy Shepherds Pie with sneaky leeks
- 750 g Lean Minced Beef Steak Max 5% fat
- 1 Clove garlic crushed
- 1 Large White Onion roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots chopped small
- Small box Button Mushrooms halved
- Handful Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 2 Oxo Cubes
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Litre Water
- 4 Leeks sliced into rounds
- Knob of butter
- 1 Tablespoon gravy granules
- 600 g Potatoes peeled and cut in half
- 100 g Matured Cheddar Cheese Grated
- Preheat oven 180C/350F/Gas4
- In a pan add the minced beef, garlic onion and fry off until the mince is brown
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and tomatoes and crumbled Oxo Cubes & Black Pepper- fry off for a final 5 Minutes
- Add the water and stir, pop in the oven for 1 1/2 - 2 hours - with no lid - stir after 30 minutes
- In a separate pan add the butter and sweat off the leeks for 10 minutes, leave on one side In a pan
- Boil the potatoes and reduce to simmer for approx. 25 minutes until tender, drain and mash well, you do not need milk or butter
- Remove Mince from Oven - stir in quickly 1 Tbs Gravy granules
- Tip the mince into an oven proof dish
- Pop leeks on top
- Next the mashed potato Then sprinkle with the grated Cheddar Cheese
- Pop it in the oven at 200C/400F/Gas 6 until piping hot and crispy on top (approx. 30 - 40 mins)- dig in …..