Halloumi Salad …. all hail the Halloumi
Halloumi cheese originated in Cyprus. Gosh I love it – Halloumi …. all hail the Halloumi and a Halloumi Salad – get in!
The cheese is white, with a distinctive layered texture, similar to mozzarella and has a salty flavour.
It is stored in its natural juices with salt-water.
It is often garnished with mint, a practice based in the belief that halloumi keeps better and stays fresher, more flavoursome when wrapped with mint leaves.
In accordance with this tradition, many packages of halloumi contain fragments of mint leaves on the surface of the cheese.
The cheese is often used in cooking and can be fried until brown without melting, owing to its higher-than-normal melting point.
This makes it an excellent cheese for frying or grilling and served with vegetables, or as an ingredient in salads.
My lovely tasty salad is a combination of Chickpeas, Halloumi and Avocado (very similar to Liberty London Girls Salad).
However this one has added beetroots which add some sweetness.
I think it would also be yum with smoked bacon pieces, oh so many opportunities…..
Have a go and let me know how you get on – please drop me a comment below the recipe, I love to get your comments
I’ve linked to Sasha’s book Liberty London Girl as I LOVE so many of her recipes.
You already know the kinda food I like, well if you like what I do, then I cannot recommend this book more highly! Straight forward delicious food! It’s that simple
Another Halloumi Recipe
If you love this squeaky cheese (Halloumi) then why not have a go and my Halloumi and Vegetable Skewers.
Perfect under the grill or on the BBQ!
Thanks Clare X
This content uses referral links. Read our disclosure policy for more info.
- 1 tin Chickpeas drained and rinsed in water
- Handful Rocket Leaves
- Handful chopped Parsley
- 1/2 Red Onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Ripe Avocado peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
- 1-2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Juice 1 lemon
- Black Pepper
- I x 225g pack Halloumi sliced into 1cm slices
- 4 Chilled small beetroots I used chilled, chopped into 2cm pieces
- In a largish serving dish add the Chickpeas, Rocket, Parsley, Onion, Avocado and stir to combine
- Then add the Olive Oil and Lemon Juice and stir, finally season with Black Pepper
- Heat a large frying pan on the hob and then add the sliced Halloumi (you can add a dash of olive oil if you wish - but you don't need to)
- Fry on each side for approx. 4 minutes or until golden in colour
- Once brown remove from heat and pop on top of your salad, then adding the beetroot last (otherwise you'll have a pink salad!)