Easy Apple & Honey Cake
I wanted to make another Apple Cake for Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. Here it is Apple & Honey Cake and it’s lovely!
I’ve been thinking for a long time how to do this to keep it as easy as possible and to make a cake that you can also eat as a pudding!
It’s a corker – I promise
Well I think I’ve cracked it!
Moist Honey Cake with Apples Recipe
I wanted it to be really moist and so I did a huge amount of research.
I decided I’d try adding some soured cream into the mix.
What actually is sour Cream?
Sour cream is what the name says it is, a sour cream.
Or you could say it’s cream that has turned sour.
Usually micro organisms as used to make the cream turn sour.
In doing so, it also thickens the cream and creates a lot of other flavours within the cream.
Why Sour Cream in your cake? Richness
Sour cream is made from cream and as such contains a decent amount of fat.
You add fat to your cake to make your cake richer. More creamy you could say
Cakes that do not contain any fat at all tend to be really light, delicate and usually drier f
It is supposed to keep it moist and I’m really happy to say it certainly flipping does.
Honey Cake with apples perfect for many occasions
Serving suggestions for your apple & honey cake
This cake has a nice dense texture, perfect to have warm with cream, custard or ice-cream (made both?)
And equally as good cold with a brew!
This lovely cake is sturdy enough for a lunch box too!
I’d call it a tin cake, you know one to always have in the tin incase anyone pops round (not sure how long it would stay in the tine as it’s so good!) .
It’s delicious but not too ‘fancy.’ Do you know what I mean?
A good basic
Apples in cakes
So any dessert apples will do, but the Pink Lady ones are lovely, but as I said any will work perfectly!
I love apples especially in cakes!
There’s something so fresh and delicious about apples in cakes!
Im not sure what it is but I love it!
So go on have a bake of the Easy Apple & Honey Cake .
It’s super easy and super lovely.
I’m sure you’ll love it too
Another Apple Cake
Oh and let me know what you think and if you like Apple Cakes you are sure to love Freda’s Apple & Fruit Loaf it’s so so popular! (especially on Pinterest?)
Full of dried fruit and delicious served with a slice of cheese
I think you might like this Apple Strudel too 🙂
Oh and here’s a great Apple Strudel Recipe – great as as Autumn Pudding
And very easy (a little bit cheaty too)
Easy Apple & Honey Cake
- 150 g Softened Butter
- 225 g Caster Sugar
- 4 Free-Range Medium Eggs
- 225 g Self Raising Flour
- 100 g Soured Cream
- 2 Pink Lady apples peeled, cored and cubed (or any dessert apples)
- 1 Tablespoon runny Honey
- Drizzle of runny Honey for top
- Preheat oven 180C / 350F / Gas4
- Line a rectangular cake tin with baking parchment and grease well (10' x 8') Guess you could also make it round too and thus 8' tin) or a Loaf tin 15 x 4
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. I used a stand mixer. It can be done by hand and banish those bingo wings?
- Next add one egg at a time, beating throughly, if the mix starts to curdle add a tablespoon of the flour.
- Carry on adding the eggs until all combined
- Add the flour and mix until smooth
- Then add the soured cream and apple chunks, giving it a good old stir
- Finally stir through 1 tablespoon honey
- Tip into the lined baking tin and smooth top
- Give it a quick drizzle with honey - I went diagonal stripes
- Pop in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until firm to the touch and golden brown (time dependant on cake tin size) If you are using a loaf tin - bake will be approx 40-45 minutes!
- Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes and tip onto a cooling tray
- Serve warm with custard / cream or ice cream or leave to cool and have a square with your brew!