Easy Apple Strudel
Ok so don’t shout at me! This is not a traditional Apple Strudel recipe, but it is on the same theme. This recipe I promise you is quick and easy and very slightly cheaty, but it tastes immense, really it does
Golden flakey pastry encases soft sweet apples with a touch of cinnamon and sultanas, it’s so very good!
Makes the perfect winter pudding for a crowd
Just look at her…..
Traditional Apple Strudel recipe
Which this is not I hasten to add. Traditionally apple strudel originates fromAustria (not Germany as often thought)
Traditionally, apple strudel is made with strudel dough it’s a soft dough that’s hand stretched into a long, thin sheet and quite time consuming.
This is time consuming and should be left for the coffeeshops of Vienna. I use a bought chilled puff pastry sheet and it works perfectly for a busy cook
The filling is made form apples, sugar, cinnamon and sultanas – and I’ve stuck to this part I promise….
What apples are best for my Apple Strudel filling?
Any eaters really. I used Cox’s, Granny Smiths work well too, or Jazz – have a go and find your favourites
I use the ones from my dear dads tree – feels somewhat more special 🙂
How to make Apple Strudel
I use the chilled already rolled stuff from the supermarket, especially when I’m busy – I don’t think you can beat it really, for speed!
Unroll it on a baking sheet on the baking paper it’s already on. If it’s not on paper then grab yourself a piece of baking paper
Peel and core your apples and chop into 1-2 cm dice. If you like your apples a little firmer then 2 cm dice
Mix with your soft brown sugar, cinnamon and sultanas and give them a stir
Construct your strudel
It’s really easy to construct, just make sure you seal your edges with your beaten egg and sprinkle the finished strudel with sugar for a lovely crispy top!
Fold over one third, egg wash and pop the other side on that
Score the top anyway you like. Egg wash and sprinkle with your caster sugar for a nice crunchy top!
- Check on your Apple Strudel after 25 minutes or so and if it’s looking golden then simply pop a piece of foil or baking paper over the top to stop it burning!
- Also be really careful when you serve your strudel, let it sit for 10 minutes or so. The apple filling will be boiling and it will burn your mouth if it’s too hot so please be careful!
What should I serve with my Apple Strudel?
Your Apple Strudel really should be dusted with Icing sugar, it looks so pretty
And I like a scoop of ice cream with mine, or a dollop of cream!
It’s also great with custard obviously
And you can serve any leftovers cold or warmed through the day after (I wouldn’t suggest freezing it- but you can if you really want to)
I hope you really enjoy this delicious pudding, if you make it please drop me a comment here.
I love getting your comments
Big Love Clare x
Another Fruit Pudding
This time a nectarine frangipane tart, it’s so good (not for the slimming unless a little slice)
Give it a try!
Easy Apple Strudel
- 375 g Puff Pastry Chilled & ready rolled
- 3 Apples 3-4 eating apples
- 50 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 50 g Sultanas
- 1 Egg for sealing and glazing
- 2 teaspoons Caster Sugar
- Icing Sugar Foer dusting
- Preheat your oven to 180C Fan / 200C / Gas 6
- Remove your bought Puff-Pastry from the fridge and unroll, place this on baking paper on a baking tray (now so you don't have to transfer it once you've made it)
- Next quickly peel and core your apples. Chop into 1 cm dice or a little larger if you like firmer pieces of apple
- Add your soft brown sugar, cinnamon & sultanas and give it a good stir
- Now using a spoon place your apple mixture down the centre of the pastry (taking up the middle third - see pic)
- Then place one side of the pastry half over the top and brush with beaten egg
- Next place the other third of the pastry over the top - forming a big long parcel
- Press down and make sure the pastry is attached to the other pastry and seal the edges at each end. Score lines across the top - it looks pretty!
- Brush the whole strudel in beaten egg and sprinkle you white caster sugar over the strudel
- Bake in the centre of your preheated oven for 40 minutes. After about 25 minutes check the top of your strudel, if it's browning to quickly pop a piece of baking paper over the top to stop it burn ing
- After 40 minute your strudel will be baked and crispy on the top and bottom
- Leave to cool for a little while - the filling is so so hot (be careful)
- Dust with icing sugar and serve