Cheese & Onion Plait
This Cheese & Onion Plait is like one giant Cheese & Onion roll, pasty or slice – only better! (Step aside Greggs)
It looks impressive and it tastes amazing – the most perfect alternative to my Sausage Plait which is a massive hit.
So here’s it’s vegetarian sister. We could call it a Veggie Sausage Plait too. Flavour packed, comforting and so moorish (trust me I’ve eaten many slices 🙂 )
Mature cheddar cheese, potato, garlicky leeks all topped with caramelised red onions – yum!
And if that isn’t enough it’s encased in buttery puff pastry (don’t panic we are NOT making puff pastry!!)
Just look at that Cheese & Onion Slice
How do you make a Cheese & Onion Plait?
Well it is really very easy – here’s you step by step
Full recipe at the bottom of this post 🙂
Simply peel and boil your potatoes, then crush with a fork and add your grated cheddar – leave to cool
Sauté your leeks in olive oil and garlic until lovely and tender – set aside
Next Sauté your red onions until soft and tender
Layer your cheese and potato mix, make a ‘trough’ in the middled and pile in your leeks and finally top with your sautéed red onions
Simply make slices in your pastry and plait as per below – sealing the edges with milk
Simply egg wash the whole slice and bake! Ta-Dah!
How to serve your Vegetarian Cheese & Onion Plait
Well I like mine straight out the oven with a lovely drink in hand.
It’s perfect for parties and Christmas nibbles. Super handy as it’s also vegetarian/ meat free
However you can also make it into a complete meal with loads of green vegetables and maybe even baked beans for the kids?
It’s also super transportable and perfect for picnics or alfresco dining and it’s so delicious cold too
Cheese & Onion Pasties?
Yes you can use the exact same filling and pastry to make Cheese & Onion pasties or indeed slices
Just cut your pastry:
*Circles = Pasties
*Squares = Slices
Pop the filling on one side – fold the pastry over, crimp with a fork, egg wash and bake!!
I hope you enjoy and I’d love any comments too
Big Love Clare
Easy Sausage Plait
Oh and if you like the look of this I also think you’ll love my super popular Easy Sausage Plait
Also a massive winner for quick suppers, picnics and alfresco dining!
Cheese & Onion Plait
- 450-500 g potatoes peeled and chopped
- 150 g mature cheddar cheese grated
- 2 Teaspoons Olive oil
- 1 large leek sliced into 1 cm rounds
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion peeled and sliced
- 1 sheet chilled puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- irst boil your potatoes in a pan of water for 20-25 minutes until tender
- Next break those potatoes up with a fork and add your grated mature cheddar on top and mix, season with salt & pepper - leave on onside to cool
- Then sauté your leeks in a frying with garlic in a drop of olive oil, over a medium heat for approx 10 minutes until soft - tip them out into a dish again leave to cool, season
- In the same frying pan add another teaspoon olive oil and sauté your onions for approx 8 minutes - they need to be soft, don't burn them
- Preheat your oven 200C/400F/Gas 6
- Remove your pastry from the fridge and unroll the sheet
- Pile your potato and cheese mix down the centre in a sausage shape and make a 'trough' down the middle (you could say a ditch) and fill with your leeks
- Finally top with your red onions
- Next using a knife slice 2cm slices down your pastry and simply lift one over the filling then another from the other side and continue until the whole Cheese & Onion plait is covered.
- Using a fork crimp / seal the ends Egg wash the while plait, lift onto a baking tray and bake at 200C for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and your pastry is baked
- Remove from the oven and slice and enjoy