Asparagus & Jersey Royals Filo Tart
Oh my all of my favourite things thrown into a filo tart. Asparagus & Jersey Royals Filo Tart!
When I started to think about this and then actually made it, I thought it should work, but you never quite know do you?
But I’m very happy to say it’s delicious, it’s easy and you can eat it hot or cold.
Look at all these perfect flavours together – yum!
And the pastry for your tart – Filo!!
It’s so much lighter than shortcrust pastry and so much less fat, and it still delivers a great crunch!
How to serve your Asparagus & Jersey Royals Tart
I just served it with a chopped salad of avocado, sweetcorn, tomatoes and beetroot and it was the best supper.
For me all these ingredients are a taste of spring with the promise of summer approaching.
And not just for supper warm, it would also be perfect at a summer bash or on a picnic and even in lunch boxes for a change
I do so love British Asparagus however these days Asparagus is available year-round.
Spring tends to be the best season for this nutritious vegetable. Crops are usually harvested from late February to June. With April May being considered the prime months and high season for asparagus.
So is asparagus good for you?
Simply answered – yes! It’s an excellent source of vitamin K, antioxidants, and thiamine.
And you don’t have to spend a lot of calories to get these benefits.
Three spears of asparagus are very very low in calories, they add up to 9 calories and hardly need to be counted.
In those three spears, you’ll also get nearly 1 gram of fiber, and that’s a win-win situation.
Check out more of the benefit if you like, there’s a really comprehensive article on the BBC website
A tart is so versatile
You could add anything you like really, but please have a go at this one (you could leave the bacon medallions out it you want a veggie option).
Somehow though the salty bacon with asparagus seems a match made in heaven!
Please let me know if you make this Asparagus & Jersey Royals Filo Tart and what you think.
I love your comments, so please drop me one below the recipe if you get time
Other Asparagus Recipes
I love asparagus and I have a couple of other recipes on my site – one of my faves is my Asparagus Salad maybe have a look!
It’s also vegan too….
Also just saying, I have some lovely little Mushroom & Bacon Filo Tarts too – go see 🙂
Big Love Cx
Asparagus & Jersey Royals Filo Tart
- 5 Sheets Filo Pastry 2 teaspoons Olive Oil or spray of Fry Light
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil or spray of fry light
- 300 g Jersey Royal New Potatoes you can use others , skin on cut into 1cm rounds
- 5 Smoked Bacon Medallions cut into largest strips
- Bunch Asparagus I used 8 spears
- 3 Free-Range Eggs
- 1/4 Pt Semi Skimmed milk
- Black Pepper
- Small Handful grated Cheese not too much
- Preheat Oven 180C/ 350F/ Gas4
- In a pan boil your new potatoes until tender approx. 10 minutes, drain and pop on one side
- In a Tin 20cm x 25cm (8' x 10') - I used a rectangular tin for a change but you can use a round tin (loose bottom if you want to present your tart nicely) Next take a sheet of Filo and pop it in the tin carefully, don't worry if it breaks a little, brush with olive oil . Then place another sheet of Filo on top at a slightly different angle, again brush with a little olive oil.
- Carry on until you have used all 5 sheets. Don't worry if it's hanging over the edge of the tin - simply scrunch it up a bit. Nothing too perfect!
- In a large frying pan use some olive oil or fry light and fry your bacon pieces, asparagus spheres and cooked new potatoes, until they start to take on some colour, approx. 10 minutes or so. Then pop your fried potatoes, asparagus and bacon mix into your Filo tart
- Next in a small bowl whisk your eggs and milk together, seasoning with Black Pepper. Pour this mix into the filo tart
- Finally sprinkle with a little cheese and pop in the oven on a baking tray. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the fling is set and it's a light golden brown
- Remove and serve - or leave to cool and serve at room temperature