Asparagus Salad – Vegan
All hail the Asparagus, I love it, do you?! I love is so much I developed this delicious Asparagus Salad – Vegan too!
I also love chickpeas and artichokes, so there’s an abundance of those too 🙂
These days Asparagus is available year-round, however spring is the best season for this nutritious vegetable.
Crops are usually harvested from late February to June, with April May being considered the prime months and high season for asparagus.
So is asparagus good for you?
Simply answered – yes! It’s an excellent source of vitamin K, antioxidants, and thiamine.
And you don’t have to spend a lot of calories to get these benefits.
Three spears of asparagus are very very low in calories, they add up to 9 calories and hardly need to be counted. In those three spears, you’ll also get nearly 1 gram of fiber, and that’s a win-win situation.
Check out more of the benefit if you like, there’s a really comprehensive article on the BBC website
Easy Vegan Asparagus Salad!
Basically it was fridge and cupboard foraged!
Thrown together in a frenzy but one of those lovely accidents – tastes amazing!
It’s Vegetarian and Vegan, so everyones a winner!
And I make it in two bowls!!
You don’t need ro – but by doing this you get a perfectly blended equal portion of salad as it feeds two!
What to add to your Asparagus Salad
I love chickpeas, artichokes and mushrooms so it’s a real winner and the flavours work so well together with the lovely fresh asparagus .
There is also something about mixing the cold with the warmth of the hot asparagus and mushrooms.
It’s a proper meal, filling too!
(We can discuss smelly wee if you really want but its all about the enzymes 🙂 )
but if you’d like to know more check out Healthline it’ll give you all the info and science)
Other Asparagus Ideas
So you can eat simply with, butter, a poached egg (yum), steamed and dripping in butter (yum)
Or in a salad like this one – or
How about a lovely Asparagus Risotto, have a look!
In a tart, have a look at my lovely Asparagus & Jersey Royals one
So many ideas
Another vegan salad recipe
This Mango salad is vegan too
The perfect blend of Mango, avocado and black beans – it’s fresh and very tasty
Perfect for warm summer days and for eating alfresco
Love Clare x
Asparagus Salad Vegan with Chickpeas & artichokes
- 400 g can Chickpeas drained
- 1 285 g Jar Artichokes in oil drained (160g)
- 12 or more cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic crushed & Chopped
- 1 punnet button or small Mushrooms halved
- Small bunch fresh Asparagus ends trimmed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Pinch Sea Salt Black Pepper
- Find yourself 2 nice large bowls
- Drain your chickpeas and half between the bowls
- Next add the artichokes equally between the 2 bowls
- Same with the cherry tomotoes
- In a large frying pan heat the garlic and oil and add the mushrooms and asparagus.
- Fry / saute on a medium heat for approx 10 minutes until the mushrooms and golden brown and the asparagus tender
- Half this mix between the 2 bowls and mix lightly with the chickpea mix
- Finally dress with the lime juice, olive oil and salt & pepper