Bang Bang Cauliflower – Easy!
Bang bang Cauliflower is a sweet and spicy dish. Char fried cauliflower with red onion, sriracha and honey, it’s full of flavour. It’s banging!
In fact me and my friend Zara ate the lot – straight out the pan – that’s a success lol!
Vegan Bang Bang Cauliflower
And this beauty of a ‘cauliflower dish’ also happens to be vegan – so winning!
I use maple syrup to make it completely vegan / plant based but you can use honey too, so good!
Wagamama’s Bang Bang Cauliflower Recipe
So I got my inspiration form Wagas – thanks Wagamamas
Their recipe is all over the internet and in their cookbook
The one thing about theirs is I find it really oily (sorry) so I wanted to make a slightly healthier version and a slightly less sweet one too, so this is my take
The Bang Bang Cauliflower Ingredients
It’ really an easy recipe with few ingredients and I promise once you buy them you’ll use them often
What is sriracha sauce?
Sriracha is a type of hot sauce or chili sauce made from a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt.
I would say it’s moderately spicy and I’ve decided that I will develop a couple more recipes to use it too, as it’s so well balanced
You can make you own if you like, with recipes all over the internet. However the one I bought was delicious and vegan too – I try and make my life as simple and delicious as possible
You can find it in all the super markets these days – near the sweet chilli sauce & condiments
How do you make Bang Bang Cauliflower?
Well it’s very easy and the full recipe card is at the bottom of this post
You simply partook your cauliflower and fry with onions, garlic and ginger and pour over the fantastic sauce
What should I serve with my Bang Bang Cauliflower?
To be honest it would work perfectly just on it’s own with some great rice
Or as part of a main Indian meal
I’d call it a magnificent fakeaway 🙂
Can I freeze my Bang Bang Cauliflower?
Honestly I’d say no as the cauliflower will go really watery
However you can package it up and pop it in the fridge and it will be good for 2 days
If you want to reheat simply pop it in the microwave
(I’ve been know to eat it cold for my lunch)
The Slimming Group
I have a closed group on Facebook for Slimming Style Recipes if you’re interested called Easy Peasy Slimming Recipes
Just use the join button if you like real home cooked tasty easy food!!
See you there
Big Love Cx
Bang Bang Cauliflower - Vegan!
- 1 Head Cauliflower Broken into medium florets
- 1 Red Onion Peeled & finely sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon White wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dried Chilli flakes (or 1/2) if you like it really hot - add 1 teaspoon or medium - add 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic Peeled and finely chopped
- Thumb size fresh Ginger Peeled and chopped into matchstick thick strips
- Fresh Coriander
- Salt & Black Pepper
- in a pan or a steamer, par cook your cauliflower florets for 3-5 minutes (no longer) then remove from the heat
- Whilst that is steaming mix together in a small bowl your maples syrup, soy sauce, sriracha, white wine vinegar and dried chilli flakes and give it a stir
- Heat your olive oil in a frying pan or a wok and quickly add your cauliflower florets and red onion, stirring for 3 minutes
- Then add your garlic and ginger and continue to fry for 3 minutes. You should be seeing a little colour on your cauliflower and your onions should be softening nicely. Add half your torn up coriander - stalks go in too
- Tip your wet sauce over your cauliflower and onion mix and stir to coat all the onions and cauliflower
- Keep stirring and your sauce should be bubbling nicely - add 1 tablespoon water at this point. After about 2-3 minutes check to see if your cauliflower is tender, it should be on the firm side (I like it crunchy)
- Finally season with salt and pepper and add the remaining coriander, stir through and serve