Hi and welcome to
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy
A place to inspire, share and talk everything kitchen with a side order of lifestyle and social ;)
Half way there
Ready for the oven
Turkey Pepper Boat Melts
Here’s an old classic brought bang up to date -‘ Turkey Pepper Boat Melts’ replaces the old stuffed peppers! I’ve been thinking about developing a nice recipe with turkey mince for a while. It’s so good for you and so under utilised, it’s low cost and low fat. So I’m trying for simple tasty recipes with a HEALTHY EPLS edge and I think i’ve managed it! Yipyar!
This recipe is also very low carb which is also a bonus. You should have a try, I think you’d be surprised at just how tasty it is. I’ve added a touch of chilli as I like a bit of spice BUT you really don’t need to. Make sure you get a really strong Cheese that way you can use less and still get the flavour. I choose my fave cheese of the moment Comte! It seeps through and makes these Turkey Pepper Boats so juicy and yummy.
I had a plate full served with a little stir fried Courgetti – I’m trying to be uber good. It’s almost summer BUT I will not eat boring flavourless low fat bought food. I would rather take healthy ingredients and try and turn them into something really tasty and satisfying . I think using baby mixed coloured peppers also makes them look super cute
I hope you’ll give these Turkey Pepper Boat Melts a try and if you do please leave me a comment below, I love to receive your comments #HEALTHYEPLS
- 8 Mixed BABY peppers
- 250g Turkey breast mince (2% fat)
- 2 shallots or 1/2 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 Clove Garlic – sliced & diced finely
- Chicken stock cube
- Good hand full of mushrooms, sliced & diced
- Good handful Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Touch of Red Chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Handfull Basil leaves, torn
- 75g-100g Medium Matured Cheddar Cheese, sliced
- Preheat the oven 200C/400F/Gas 6
- In a large frying pan add your turkey mince, garlic & onions – fry over a high heat for 10 minutes until it starts to brown and there’s no pink!
- Add chopped mushrooms, crumble the stock cube and season, fry for a further 5 minutes, stirring often, finally stir in the tomatoes and give it another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the torn basil leaves (reserve a few leaves for garnish), stir and remove from the heat
- In the meantime slice your peppers lengthways. Remove seeds and insides, lay them in an oven proof dish
- Stuff the peppers with the turkey mince mix and top each one with a slice of Cheese
- Pop in the oven for 25- 30 minutes and bake until golden
- Serve – garnish with a little basil and dig in!