Cavolo Nero Pasta with Mushrooms
So I got in tonight from a long day at work, flipping starving (HWDC is away). Then I thought oh what shall I have for dinner? It was cold and miserable outside and I wanted pasta! I ended up with Cavolo Nero Pasta with mushrooms
You know – that feeling when you just NEED carbs! But I’m also still on #HEALTHYEPLS.
So it needed to be as low fat as possible.
So I looked in the fridge to see what I had and managed remarkably to conjure up this little beauty, you could say it’s fridge foraged (and this Cavolo Nero Pasta with Mushrooms what I made 🙂 )
It’s also vegetarian which is great.
Even if you’re not vegetarian I think it’s nice to have a night off from meat and fish!
I’m finding I’m doing this more often. How about you?
Have you ever tried Cavolo Nero?
I love it, it’s so strong in colour and when cooked it’s so soft to eat – delicious! Have you tried it?
And obviously so so good for you, so what is it? It’s kale’s close relative and part of the brassica family.
So what actually is Cavolo Nero?
Also known as black kale, Tuscan kale or black cabbage, this green vegetable is and has been enjoyed by Italians for generations, even centuries.
Originating from sunny Tuscany, where it is believed to have been first harvested in 600BC, cavolo nero has long, lean, dark green and almost black leaves with a noticeably rich, intense and slightly sweet flavour.
So tasty, so quick! Pasta mushrooms and Cavolo Nero mmmmmm flipping delicious and it will remain on my menu for a while!
I do love quick easy yummy comfort food dinners
Have a go and if you like it or have any comments please drop me a comment below the recipe, I do so love to have your comments
Another Cavalo Nero one
If you love cavalo nero as much as i do you’ll probably also like my ‘man’ quiche.
Many Thanks Cx
Cavolo Nero Pasta with Mushroom
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil or Fry Light 3
- 150 g Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Clove Garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 75 g Papperadelle Pasta
- Cavolo Nero stems chopped into large strips
- 1 Tablespoon Half Fat Creme Fraiche
- Salt & Freshly ground Black Pepper lots! :- )
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Sprinkling of grated Parmesan
- Heat your Olive oil of fry light in a frying pan - add your mushrooms and garlic, fry until golden approx 5 minutes
- Meanwhile cook your pasta according to pack instructions - usually 6-8 minutes
- Next add your Cavolo Nero to the frying pan with the mushrooms and pan fry for a couple of minutes until wilted
- Remove from the heat and add the creme fresh and lemon juice and 2 Tablespoons of the pasta water
- Add a touch of salt and plenty of black pepper
- Drain your pasta and add to the frying pan - heat for a couple of minutes and stir until the pasta is well coated and it's piping hot
- Plate up, sprinkle with grated Parmesan and dig in!