Hi and welcome to
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy
A place to inspire, share and talk everything kitchen with a side order of lifestyle and social ;)
Stress free Christmas – I wish……… let’s try at least!
Today is the 8th of December – and I can feel myself starting to get a bit giddy when I think about how much there is to do (and I have a holiday thrown in between now and then – gulp) I also do the north and south Christmas thing – which in itself brings a lot of ‘must remembers’ into my head,,, and mild panic and madness!
So this year I have decided to try and ease up on myself a bit (yeah right – I am my own worst enemy). You know at the end of the day it’s just a holiday where we are supposed to enjoy the time and have fun! With so many expectations and obligations around, here are my new plans for the season – I’ll see how I do and let you know after Christmas
1. Say no sometimes to the ‘must catch up before Christmas’ pleas – why do we do this? – I think we are all guilty of it! Why can’t we postpone and say January or Feb sometime – that way it’s calmer and we all then have some things to look forward to? Right this is my plan
2. Lists – every year I make a list and I colour code it to. I write down everything I buy and who it’s for. I’m am already there on the present front this year – I do most of it on-line! It’s so easy – it’s delivered to you – no queuing and no lugging it back to the car. Once it’s wrapped it turns another colour – slightly OCD maybe? Cards are done and gone thy 10th! Whatever you do – don’t panic buy on Christmas Eve! That is stressful….
3. Then I start to wrap and I wrap in family groups. I buy those cheap baskets from B&Q or wherever and start to wrap the gifts – this year NO fancy ribbons and bows – quite honestly I have better things to do. That said I have bought nice paper and tags – then I pile the prezzies into those for north and south etc. At least then I end up with the right stuff at the right place.
4. This year I have already decided what I will make and what I won’t food wise – I’m going simple but good. I’m not making mince pies but I am making Italian Riccarelli (on the blog) and Rocky Roads (also on the blog) I will make Sausage rolls and will freeze them unbaked. Whip them out the freezer and bake Christmas Eve – easypeasylemonsqueezy. Don’t be a Martyr – ask peeps to bring things like dessert etc – why not?
5. I will not feed 5000 when I only have say 8 to feed. And I will make good, tasty, lovely food but not thousands of different dishes & things. Let’s face it people love to be fed & watered and we can, as hosts, take it a bit too serious and start preparing 7 desserts when we really only need 2 and cheese. Keep it simple – tasty but simple!
6. I will aim this year to be all done and dusted by 16th December – wrapped, house decorated etc. That way I will try and enjoy Christmas – let’s see how that one goes
7. I will arrange a food shopping evening afterwork do it all in one hit! Whatever I forget then tough! I’m sure we can manage for a few days without whatever it is….
8. And on the day after boxing day I will put on my jim jams – take the phone off the hook – discontent from Social media and snuggle up for a cosy film day – with smoked salmon & scrambled eggs – champagne and then if anyone wants anything else – they can jump to it!
9. I will not enter into any family squabbles, (very rare for us fortunately!) kids & friends demands etc – I will simply breathe deeply, smile and enjoy! (with the occasional hot sweat lol!)
10. Then in between Christmas & New Year I will return to work for a modicum of normality! I love that time – everyones quiet and I can just get on with getting ready for the following year (and a bit of internet sale shopping 😉 )
11. NYE – Im not even thinking about it this year. Early night with a bottle of gin perhaps?
Please let me have your comments on a stress free Christmas – would love to hear form you…. maybe you can help me escape the madness