Easy Vegetarian Lasagne – be gone tomatoes!
Oh I love a good lasagne and sometimes I like a meat free dinner too, or vegetarian whatever you like to call it.
A lasagne is usually a staple in most peoples cooking repertoire, this one is just as good and super tasty. But a little bit different!
I love both broccoli and cauliflower so this was a no brainer 🙂
So with that in mind I decided to make a Vegetable Lasagne, but I didn’t want a wet pappy tomato one, you know the sort I mean, all courgette and ratatouille ish!! Not for me at all
Fresh & Easy Vegetable Lasagne – minus the tomatoes
So I choose mushrooms, cauliflower and broccoli and with hindsight, I also think sweetcorn would be good too.
It was so so good – maybe give it a try
Light and simple however super delicious
Cheats Cheese Sauce for your Veggie Lasagne
In this recipe I also share with you my ‘cheats’ Cheese Sauce!
So much easier than making a roux!
See the full recipe below
Lasagne Sheets for your easy lasagne
lasagne sheets are a pasta variety
I have used both dried and fresh – broth taste great – so use whatever you prefer
Lasagne are a type of wide, flat pasta, possibly one of the oldest types of pasta. Lasagne, or the singular lasagna, is an Italian dish made of stacked layers of thin flat pasta alternating with fillings such as ragù and other vegetables, cheese, and seasonings and spices such as garlic, oregano and basil. Wikipedia
So get on it and give this vegetarian lasagne dish a go!
All I’ll say is please don’t skip the garlic mushroom bit – it adds sooooo much flavour to the overall dish!
What a delicious treat for veggies and non veggies! Yum
(I also think adding a little smoked bacon would work too – but suuuussshhh this is veggie right? )
Enjoy guys and please comment if you have a go!
I so love and need your comments on this Vegetarian Lasagne!!!
Another Vegetarian Dish
If you love this I also think you’ll love my Easy Veggie Curry!! It’s banging, packed full of lovely flavour!!
Have a look!
Thanks Clare x
Easy Vegetarian Lasagne!
- 350 g Broccoli florets
- 350 g Cauliflower florets
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 250 - 300 g Button mushrooms quartered
- 1 pt Semi-Skimmed Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Plain Flour
- 200 g Vegetarian Matured Cheddar Cheese Grated I used 1/2 fat Cheese, it was fine
- Salt & Freshly ground Black Pepper
- Packet Chilled Fresh Lasagne sheets 260g , or dried rehydrated as pack instructions
- Pre-heat your oven 200C / 400F / Gas 6
- Steam your Broccoli florets and Cauliflower florets for approx. 8 minutes, they need still to have some bite - do not over steam to mush!!
- Pop on one side.
- In a large frying pan add the Olive oil, garlic and mushrooms, season and fry for approx 8 minutes until golden brown, pop on one side
- Next make my 'cheats Cheese Sauce' - Pour about 1/8th of the milk into a jug, add 1 tablespoon Plain flour and make a loose 'lump-less' paste
- Pour the remainder of the milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Quickly pour the hot milk onto the flour milk mix and stir continuously - like crazy!
- Next pop in back into the saucepan and return to the heat.
- Using a whisk keep string (do not stop) over the heat until it thickens (this cooks the flour out)
- Once boiling and thick remove from the heat.
- Add most of the grated cheese (holding a little back for sprinkling on top of the lasagne) and stir until melted!
- Add a couple of tablespoons of sauce to the bottom of your dish.
- Then lay a couple of lasagne sheets in your dish (square dish is easier) next add 1/2 the mushrooms and 1/2 of the veg mix, then pour 1/3 of the cheese sauce on top, then repeat.
- Finally add the top layer of lasagne sheets and pour the remaining sauce on top, sprinkle with cheese and pop your dish on a baking tray (stops any spillages in the oven)
- Bang it in the oven (middle shelf) for 30-40 minutes until piping hot and golden brown and bubbling