Healthy Beef Curry – slow cooker
Here’s my delicious and easy Slow Cooker Beef Curry recipe, hurrah 🙂
A delicious medium spiced beef curry, where the beef falls apart and the spices are perfectly blended. The slow cooker does the work and you return home to a wonderful and luscious dinner
Easy Slow Cooker beef curry recipe
We love this Crock pot beef curry, love it! and it’s so easy and what’s better than arriving home after a day at work or at the weekend when you’re out enjoying yourselves, to a delicious pot full of tender beef curry and a house that smells amazing. It couldn’t be simpler
It hands down beats a takeaway in my humble opinion, it’s healthy ish too! I like to call it a fakeaway
What beef should I use for my curry?
You can use any ‘stewing steak’ or sometimes it’s know as casserole steak.’ I use ‘braising steak’ and trim any fat.
in the US I think you call it chuck steak
How to make Beef Curry in a Slow Cooker
Well to be honest it couldn’t be easier and I’ll take you through it step by step. There’s a full recipe card at the bottom of this post with the exact quantities etc
Should I brown my meat before the Slow Cooker?
Now this is a difficult one….. and honestly –
My advice is – YES, YES YES YES – if you have the time.
Browning the meat really does add that extra layer and depth of flavour, however you can just ‘dump’ it all in if you like
Turn on your slow cooker to the low setting
Brown your beef quickly in batches and pop it into the slowcooker
Quickly fry you onions with your spices for a couple of minutes, and pop on top of your meat
Throw it all in the slow cooker, together with the tomatoes, stock and tomato puree
and set it on low for 6-8 hours – yum!
And set it on low for 6-8 hours – yum!
Here she is
How long should I to cook beef curry in slow cooker?
This recipe is perfect after 6 hours on a low setting. The meat is tender and literally falls apart – it’s so delicious
I have also left it for 8 hours on low – say when I’m at work and that too is fine
What to serve with your Beef Curry
So many ideas!!
- With rice – I like the basmati rice with wild rice added
- On a baked potato / jacket potato
- I served it before simply with broccoli and greens
I also like to make my Healthy Onion Bahjis
Can I freeze my Slow Cooker Beef Curry?
Yes you can, it’s perfect for batch cooking for this purpose
Please freeze in sealed containers, label them up (don’t forget to date them) and eat within a couple of months
When you are ready to eat, simply defrost in the fridge and reheat in a pan on the hob. Ensure your curry is piping hot before you serve
Other Slow Cooker Recipes
How about a Slow Cooker Chicken Curry – it’s just as easy as this one, if not easier
If you like this recipe I’m sure you would love my easy Honey Garlic Chicken recipe its another slow cooker wonder!
Just look at it! 🙂
And a couple more …..
I really hope you enjoy this one and let me know how you get on!
And if you fancy something super healthy
Why not have a go at my Turkey Mince Chilli – it’s really good
And finally the DUMP recipe of all time
My Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala is just delicious! Uber easy
Slow Cooker Choice
Lots of people ask me about which slow cooker I would recommend
Well it has to be this one, it has a sear function for browning – so a lot less washing up and a way more flavour for your recipes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended. While clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money, they will help us keep this site up and running! Please check out our disclosure policy for more details. Thank you for your support!
The Slimming Group
I have a closed group on Facebook for Slimming Style Recipes if you’re interested called Easy Peasy Slimming Recipes
Just use the join button if you like real home cooked tasty easy food!!
See you there
Big Love Cx
Slow Cooker Beef Curry - Healthy
- Slow Cooker
- 1 Large Frying Pan
- 1 Cal Spray
- 750 g Braising Steak or casserole steak
- 2 Medium Onions Peeled & chopped
- 2 teaspoon Medium Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Marsala
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Cloves Garlic Peeled & Chopped finely
- 1 Chopped Tomatoes 1 tin + Water
- 2 Beef Stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Puree
- Fresh Coriander
- Turn on your slow cooker and set it on the low heat
- Grab a large frying pan and using low cal spray fry off your beef pieces in a couple of batches, you are looking to get some colour on them 2-3 minutes approx. Then tip these into your slow cooker
- Next using the same frying pan and a little more 1 cal spray, add your onion, and all your dried spices, together with your garlic. Coat the onions in the spices and fry over a low heat for maximum 2 minutes. Add the onion mix to your slow cooker
- Then tip your time of chopped tomatoes into the slow cooker. Then half fill the empty tin with water and add your stock cubes to the water to dissolve. Then add this to your slow cooker
- Finally add your tomato puree on top and give it a good old stir
- Pop the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours, it should also be fine for 8 hours too
- When you are ready to serve, stir through your chopped coriander and serve with rice or whatever you fancy