Crispy chilli beef – delicious & easy
Delicious slithers of beef coated in Chinese 5 spice flavours, fried until crispy and tender and coated in a sweet and spicy sticky sauce. Crispy chilli beef – So good! And one of my favourite dishes from the Chinese
A lovely authentic recipe for easy crispy chilli beef with noodles or rice and it’s sooooooo flipping easy.
So, ask yourself – why would you go to the takeaway? This is so much better – I promise
This is a real Fakeaway, trust me!
Just look at it 🙂
Healthier Takeaway – Crispy Chilli Beef Recipe
And you are in control of all the ingredients, timings, temperatures and it must be much healthier than from the takeaway!
You know that really crispy, also crunchy fatty stuff from the takeaway? – well this is a whole heap better.
Freshly made and authentic
It’s totally packed with flavour from the Chinese 5 Spice, ginger and garlic!
Ingredients for your Chinese crispy chilli beef
There are quite a few ingredients compared to some of my other recipe – but it’s so worth it
I’m certain you’ll be making this time and time again
Easy Crispy Chilli Beef Recipe
It’s a real change from other suppers and sometimes a change is as good as a rest hey!
It’s a firm favourite in this house!
And don’t worry too much about the cut of beef, I have suggested sirloin or rump but any will do, whatever you fancy.
And you don’t have to get your car out the garage and hang about for 30 minutes waiting in the takeaway!
How to make Crispy Chilli Beef – Step by Step
My biggest piece of advice is to prep all your ingredients in advance of starting to cook
See full recipe card at the bottom of this post
Step 1 – Fry your beef strips
Once you’ve coated your strips of steak in your cornflour mix drop then in your oil and fry for 4 minutes or until golden brown
It looks a little strange but it’s fine
Step 2 – Crispy beef 🙂 Remove from the fat and pop on one side
Once it’s golden brown remove from the pan and pop in a bowl on one side
Step 3 – next fry off your vegetables
Tip the oil away and add a teaspoon of new oil, in the same frying pan fry off your garlic, ginger, mushrooms, peppers, chilli and spring onions for a couple of minutes
Step 4 – Make your Crispy Chilli Beef Sauce
Mix together your vinegar, tomato ketchup, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and stir – finally add a tablespoon water
Step 5 – add your sauce to the pan
Add the liquid mix to the veggies and boil for a couple of minutes and it with thicken and go sticky
Step 6 – finally add your lovely crispy beef back to the pan
Add your beef back and heat through for a further minute – Ta-Dah – get tucked in…..
How to serve your easy Crispy Chilli Beef
I serve mine with some lovely rice but it works equally well over noodles
There are many ways to serve it – maybe with a side of sesame broccoli – yum
Or in a wrap perhaps?
So many ways – it’s delicious
Can I freeze my Crispy Chilli Beef?
To be honest the recipe works best when it is fresh
You can of course do it but the beef tends not to be as crispy – and that’s what I love about this dish to be honest
However it will still taste Nice – so if you really must you can 🙂
Have a go and let me know how you get on with this delightful chilli beef dish, please do drop me a comment under the recipe.
I love to get your comments
If you like a little spice I think you may also like my:
Oh and my Easy Beef Enchiladas
Have a go and let me know how you get on 🙂
Easy Crispy chilli beef
- 200 g Sirloin or Rump steak
- 3 tablespoons Corn Flour
- 2 teaspoons Chinese 5 Spice
- 80 ml Sunflower oil
- Salt & Black pepper
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Thumb size piece ginger grated
- 4 mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 Yellow pepper seeds removed
- 1/2 Red pepper seeds removed
- 6 Spring onions chopped (green ends for garnish)
- 1/2 red chilli finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- Egg Noodles - cooked
- Slice your steak into very thin strips, approx 1/2cm in diameter, length doesn't matter
- In a separate bowl, mix your cornflour, salt, pepper and 5 spice in a bowl
- Pop the steak into the cornflour mix and coat the strips
- Heat 100ml oil in a frying pan until hot, drop the beef in a fry until golden (looks a bit weird) this will take about 5 minutes or so
- Cook your noodles or rice at this stage
- Once the beef is golden - lift out and place on kitchen roll and pop on one side
- Then tip oil out of frying pan and add 1 tsp oil backing the pan. Add the chopped garlic, ginger, chilli and fry for 2 mins, then add spring onions, peppers and mushrooms, fry for approx 2 mins until soft
- Mix rice wine vinegar in bowl with soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, ketchup and approx. 1 tbsp water, stir
- Tip this mix into frying pan and heat for 2 minutes, it should be bubbling.
- Throw in the beef and heat for 1 minute
- Finally Serve - put noodles or rice on plate and beef mix on top, finish with chopped spring onion