Cajun Style Dirty Rice
My Cajun Style Dirty rice is a delicious recipe of beef, rice, peppers, inions and loads of other vegetables , all made in one pot on the stove.
It’s bursting with cajun flavours and quite simply it’s my go to recipes on busy nights, quick easy and delicious and you can’t ask for more than that!!
I love minced beef as an ingredient and I love finding new ways to eat it. We’ve been eating this dish in this house for many years. So I thought I’d finally share my recipe on take on this delicious dish.
It’s not much of a looker, is it? But it tastes delicious – love it!
Versatile Dirty Rice (Easy)
Now I’m going to share my recipe and what I add.
However please know you can play around and add other vegetables of your choice.
I like to add lots of veggies and that way I know we are all getting the fibre we need
And of course you could use, turkey mince or pork mince if you don’t fancy minced beef
If your fancy a Dirty Rice Recipe without spice that uses all your leftovers out the fridge then try my really popular recipe
So why is this dish called Dirty Rice?
Well according to my research on the internet, Dirty rice is a traditional Louisiana Creole dish made from white rice which gets a “dirty” colour from being cooked with small pieces of pork, beef or chicken, green pepper, celery, and onion and spices
Dirty rice is most common in the Creole regions of southern Louisiana; however, it can also be found in other areas of the American South and now wit’s pretty common everywhere
So what is Cajun Seasoning?
Cancun seasoning / spices can be made yourself however I always buy the below one or supermarkets own as I thinbjk they taste pretty good!
This one is expertly blended with Chilli Powder, Allspice, and Thyme
Cajun seasoning is perfect for adding to Rice, Chicken, pork and Potatoes, amongst other foods
How to make Cajun Dirty Rice? One Pot!
(see full recipe card at the bottom of this post)
First you fry off your minced beef in a heavy bottomed heatproof casserole dish (choose one you have a lot for) add your garlic, celery and onion until brown
Then add your chopped vegetables on top, give it all a stir and cook until your veggies start to cook
Next ass your rice (uncooked) and spring onions and then crumble your stock cube into the eater and add that too
Lid on and simmer, stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes until your rice is cooked
Then season and serve topped with your reserved spring onion tops, enjoy!!
What to serve with Beef Dirty Rice Cajun Style?
Well it’s perfect as a main on its own – it’s got protein, carbohydrates and veggies all in one!
However you can always add a salad or some veggies on the side if you fancy it or maybe some potato wedges too.
It’s good with a side of sweetcorn too 🙂
How to store left over Cajun Style Dirty Rice?
If you have any leftovers make sure you follow the below steps from a food safety point of view. Also I wouldn’t keep it for more than 2 days
- Let your dirty rice cool for maximum one hour, please do not leave it out for any longer
- Pop in an airtight container and put it in the fridge immediately
- Store for maximum 2 days
- You can also freeze – follow the above instructions and put in the freezer. I wouldn’t store frozen for more than 1 month
How to reheat your Cajun Dirty Rice
if chilled, put in a microwave dish or on the hob and heat until piping hot!! Make sure its is!!
If frozen, defrost throughly in the fridge overnight and reheat as above
Another tasty one pot rice dish
If you like this lovely spicy dirty rice, I also think you’d like my tasty
The Easy Slimming Group
I also have a Facebook Closed Group called Easy Peasy Slimming Style Recipes .
Come over and join this great honest community Facebook for Easy Peasy Slimming Recipes if you’re interested
Just use the join button if you like real home cooked tasty easy food!!
We support encourage and laugh!!Loads of tips and tricks – I promise
Oh and why not join me on Instagram – I’d love to see you there 🙂
Much Love Clare x
Cajun Style Dirty Rice - beef
- 500 g Minced Beef <5% fat
- 2 Garlic Cloves Peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Onion peeled and chopped
- 2 Sticks celery Chopped
- 2 teaspoons Cajun Spice or 3 if you like spice
- Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 Carrot Peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 Green Pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 Red Pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 Yellow Pepper deseeded and chopped
- 125g Mushrooms sliced
- 200 g White Rice long grain or basmati
- 100 g Spring Onions (small bunch) cut into pieces (reserving tops)
- beef stock cube
- 750 ml water
- Take a large heavy bottomed casserole pot that can go on the hob and add your minced beef, chopped garlic, onion and celery. Fry (without oil) for 2 minutes on a medium heat, stirring occasionally
- Next add your cajun spices / seasoning and chopped carrots and fry for a further 5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring occasionally
- Next add your peppers and mushrooms and continue to fry for a further 5 minutes, staring occasionally
- Crumble your stock cube into the water
- Then add your spring onions, dry rice and this stock and give it a good stir
- Put your lid on your casserole pot and cook over a low heat for 25-30 minutes, staring occasionally, until your rice is cooked and tender
- Once cooked, test the seasoning and add salt & black pepper if required. Sprinkle your reserved spring onions top on top and dig in!