Easy Thai Red Curry – Chicken
Oh I love Thai food, do you? However it can be a little complicated balancing the aromatic flavours. So I thought I’d share my quick & easy Thai Red Curry style chicken thighs.
A delicious blend of aromatic spices with coconut milk and chicken thighs. Tender and packed full of flavour
I’ve also tried to be mindful of the cals and I’ve used light coconut milk and trimmed my chicken thighs
I made it all on the top of the oven / hob / stove and it’s so delicious
I will try it in the slow cooker sometime soon and let you know 🙂
What is Thai Red Curry Paste?
Thai Red curry paste is a lovely blend of red chilli peppers, garlic, lemongrass, turmeric, shrimp paste and salt which you can buy in a jar from the supermarket
It is super versatile and there are many great pastes on the super market shelves.
You can of course make your own – but this is after all Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, so I buy it, especially when I’m in a rush versatile and full of aromatic flavours with a kick of spice.
It’s used in a wide variety of Thai dishes and you often see – chicken, meat, vegetable and seafood, often made into Thai red curries
Top Tips – Ingredients for your Thai Red Curry – Chicken Thighs
So I used thighs here in this recipe, as they are juicy and more flavoursome than chicken breast. However I’m sure chicken breasts would work fine (skinless and boneless)
I use Light coconut milk to keep the fat and cals down a little. You can of course use fill fat – however you may need a splash of water if your sauce is too thick
Red Thai Curry Paste
I used a generic shop bought Thai Red Curry paste (I use it all the time) and it works perfectly well. You can of course make your own if you wish
I highly recommend you add lime juice at the end of the cooking as I have said in the recipe card. The reason is it ‘cuts” through the fattiness and richness of the coconut sauce and lifts the flavour. It gives it a fresher note, together with the fresh coriander (cilantro)
How to make Easy Thai Red Curried Chicken Thighs
It really is very easy here you Arte step by step
Step 1 – Fry your chicken thighs
Grab yourself a lovely large ovenproof dish that you can use on the hob, a large deep frying pan would work to0!
Add your olive oil to the pan and fry your chicken thighs for 5-6 minutes (scraggy side down)
Step 2 – add your other ingredients
Add your garlic, ginger and red curry paste and fry, on both sides
Step 3 – Add your light coconut milk
And simmer for approx 35 minutes until your chicken thighs are tender and cooked through, and your sauce is thickened
Step 4 – Finishing touches
Once your chicken thighs are cooked, add your lime juice, this cuts through the creaminess of the sauce and add your big handful of coriander – so aromatic and delicious!
If you like you can garnish with a few slices of fresh red chillis
And serve! Yum
What to serve with Thai Red Curry?
I like to serve mine with jasmine rice, I just love the stickiness of it and it’s traditionally served with red curries
However it works well with any rice to be honest
I even like it cold – yes I do!!! It’s almost like coronation chicken – yum
Have a go and let me know how you get on
Big Love Clare
The Easy Slimming Group
I also have a Facebook Closed Group called Easy Peasy Slimming Style Recipes .
Come over and join this great honest community Facebook for Easy Peasy Slimming Recipes if you’re interested
Just use the join button if you like real home cooked tasty easy food!!
We support encourage and laugh!!Loads of tips and tricks – I promise
Oh and why not join me on Instagram – I’d love to see you there 🙂
Another Tasty Recipe
If you love this then I think you’d also really like my Satay Chicken Skewers
Thai Red Curry - Chicken
- 600 g Chicken thigh fillets Skinless & boneless
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper
- 2 Cloves Garlic Peeled and chopped finely
- Thumb fresh ginger Peeled & grated
- 400 ml Light Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 Teaspoons Brown Sugar
- Fresh Coriander Handfull
- 1 Juice of one Lime And wedges for decoration
- 1 Red Chilli Slices for garnish - OPTIONAL
- Take a large ovenproof dish - one that you can use on the hob
- Add your olive oil and then your chicken thighs and Salt & pepper each thigh
- Fry for 5-6 minutes on one side (the messy side ha ha) , moving around occasionally
- Add your garlic, ginger and red curry paste and swirl around and turn over your thighs and fry for a further 5-6 minutes - you are looking for colour on your chicken thighs
- Next add your light coconut milk and brown sugar and give it a stir
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 35 minutes stirring occasionally. Make sure your chicken is cooked through
- Finally add the juice of your lime and a good handful fresh coriander leaves. Fir garnish you can add more coriander leaves and maybe a slice or two of fresh chilli