So why Denmark and what’s Hygge?
For those of you that know me or follow me on Social Media, you will notice I spend a lot (loads) of time in Denmark. A lot of people ask me – what is this Danish Hygge?
Well for the past 24 years I have been travelling to my second home a minimum of 4 times a year – so by my calculation – that’s almost 100 trips!? So I should know yes?
Eeek so what better way to celebrate that fact than to tell you a little bit about why I love it sooooooo much! Denmark my second home! Higgle and this is why!
So I work for a Danish company and I couldn’t be happier about that! I love the Danes and I love Denmark!
So a few actual facts:
- Denmark is a really small country and I have met a lot of people who don’t even know where Denmark is.
- Denmark is not the capital of Ikea 🙂 It is a small country in Scandinavia, above Germany, next to Great Britain, Sweden and below the tip of Norway
- According to the 2015 World Happiness Report, the only people happier than the Danes are the Swiss and Icelandic. And I can see why!
- They pay a huge amount of Tax – but boy do their public service work!!
- You are never more than 50km (31 miles) from the sea in Denmark
- They have three letters in their alphabet which are not found in the English – Æ, Ø and Å
- The population of Denmark is approx 5.6 million people (not many)
- They produced about 29 million pigs a year!
- You only need to drive around Denmark to see the vast number of windmills. They are the world’s leading producers of windmills – they have installed more than 90 % of the world’s offshore wind turbines and 28 % of their energy supply is produced by wind mills
- They have some of the finest drinking/tap water in the world
- (and boy can they drink lol!!)
So why do I like Denmark and what the heck is Hygge?
Well I love the people (adore), I love their sense of humour, I love the family values, I love the simplicity and the organised way of life and I’d say they are well sorted!
I love the design, I love the clothes (ha) I love the jewellery, their style, classic, cool, practical, functional and I LOVE their Scandi style homes and their no nonsense approach!
Here’s some lovely pics I’ve snapped over my years of travelling!
My favourite Dane
And on the subject of the Danes I cannot go without mentioning my truly wonderful and inspirational friend Inger, a colleague and a dear dear friend – she’s like my big sister, all the love for this one <3
Danish Hygge – what is it?
You’ve probably started to see this word on Social Media, in mags and on the TV?
So what’s the meaning? what’s it all about?
Hygge (pronounced hue-guh not hoo-gah) is a Danish word used when acknowledging a feeling or moment. Whether alone or with friends, at home or out, ordinary or extraordinary as cosy, charming or special. ( This just about sums up the Danes)
Hygge (or to be “hyggeligt”) doesn’t require learning “how to hygge”, adopting it as a lifestyle or buying anything. It simply requires being present and recognising the moment that feels sweet, cosy, charming, special or nice that you just have to name the moment. (A little like mindfulness I guess)
So whether it’s making coffee with a neighbour, or a cosy evening in with friends Hygge is where you’re just enjoying each others company even a simple act of lighting a candle with every meal.
Hygge is being aware of a good moment whether it’s simple or special. So love that!
So I hope you like my little insight into one of my favourite places.
Have you ever been to Denmark or Scandinavia? – I’d love to hear what you think